In August 2017, the Board contracted with Mr. Wayne Qualls of Teams, Inc., to assist in identifying candidates to serve as the new Superintendent of Schools of Kingsport City Schools.
- Following interviews with six candidates over a period of five weeks, the Board has recommended Dr. Jeffery. R. Moorhouse to become the new KCS Superintendent of Schools.
- Dr. Moorhouse is currently Director of Schools for Greeneville City Schools (TN), a position he has held since 2015.
- He is a native of Mountain City, TN and received a Bachelor of Science degree from Milligan College, a Masters of Arts in Teaching from East Tennessee State University, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership from ETSU.
- While with Greeneville City Schools, Dr. Moorhouse has led the district to awarding-winning status in several areas, including academic achievement, increasing opportunities for underrepresented populations, innovative uses of technology, and being named an AP Honor Roll district.
- Prior to serving as Director of Schools in Greeneville, Dr. Moorhouse was Principal at Morristown West High School and at Manley Elementary School, and has also served in McCormick County (SC), Unicoi County (TN), and Johnson County (TN).
- Following discussion, the Board voted 5-0 to authorize Board President Mrs. Susan Lodal to negotiate the terms of a contract with Dr. Moorhouse for consideration and approval by the Board at a later date.